Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tidbits

Thanks to my off-desk project (and to be honest on-desk project when I'm not helping patrons) I have been using the microfilms A LOT. Thankfully, I totally love going through old microfilms. They are full of the weirdest stuff that would never be printed today. If I could I would just spend my whole shift going through old newspapers and reading the strange things they printed. I have taken to printing off articles that catch my attention and posting them on the Indiana Room blog as well as the Adult and Teen Services blog. Needless to say, many people have come up to me and commented about the articles.

One such thing that I found today was from the 1969 Bloomington Telephone. It was an "Ask Abby" column and it was a question sent in my a newlywed man. I am not sure what his ultimate question was, it seemed more like a complaint than anythings else. He wrote that before the wedding his wife was always really well put together, hair done, makeup done, nice clothes - but now that they were married, she slathers moisturizer on her face before bed and puts on a sack thing that ties around the middle for a nightgown. I was so taken aback by this - it is such a foreign thing to me, and did this man think that she went to bed with makeup on? It really speaks for the generations, and how different things are now. And, it makes me really not like this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment