Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ego stroking

The trust and faith that my boss, Christine, has in my abilities really strokes my ego. It is such a great feeling when we are talking about some research topic and are just thinking about where else to look for information, and she'll just say that I ask great questions and things along those lines. As a newbie librarian working amongst many tenured librarians, it really feels great when any of them tell me I'm doing well or ask me my opinion. It helps show that I am on the right track, and that I just may make it as a librarian!

We were actually quite busy tonight. It wasn't so much the amount of patrons coming in, but rather the types of questions being asked. I also ended up being on the phone with one homebound patron for an hour, although I had to put her on hold quite a few times for other phone calls and patrons at the desk. The homebound patron was actually really fun to talk to and great about having to be put on hold, so I really didn't mind being on the line for so long - in fact part of the reason we were on so long is because we were just chatting about this and that. She wanted me to look through some of our vertical files (files we keep on many different topics and anything from the newspaper on that topic is cut out and placed in the file). I had to go through two huge files and try to find what she was looking for - which I did - and then photocopy them to be sent to her.

I also had a crazy patron call, and ended up having to get Christine to deal with her (I was still on the line with the homebound patron and also had no idea how to deal with the crazy lady). She started off asking a question for a phone number or some such, but then began ranting about how Tiger Woods and other rich men have sex slaves, and then started wondering if Donald Trump has sex slaves and that he probably did. I rushed her to hold and Christine took over from there. The woman did end up asking for numerous businesses phone numbers along with her crazy rantings. Thankfully, those calls are few and far between, but it definitely ended up making my day a little more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment